CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine (July 26, 2010) – Race organizers have outlined parking, road closings and race week events leading up to the Aug. 7 TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10K.
Runners are encouraged to arrive by 6:30 a.m. to avoid heavy traffic. Roadside parking is not allowed. Race officials also ask that no walkers, joggers, spectators or bicyclists be on the road along the course after 8 a.m. as the roads must be clear for the event.
Road Closings: On race day, the following roads will be closed:
- Route 77, Sprague Hall to Kettle Cove Road will be closed from 6 to 10 a.m.
- Route 77, Kettle Cove Road to Old Ocean House Road, closed from 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Crescent Beach State Park will be closed from 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Route 77, at Hillway, closed 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Old Ocean House Road (all) closed 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Shore Road (all) from Key Bank to Fort Williams, closed 7:30 to 11 a.m.
- Scott Dyer Road from Spurwink Avenue (except shuttle buses), closed 7:15 to 7:45 a.m. eastbound.
- All of Fowler Road (except shuttle buses) will be closed from 7:15 to 10 a.m.
Registration and B-tag and t-shirt pickup for confirmed runners will take place at Cape Elizabeth High School on Thursday, Aug. 5 from 4 to 8 p.m. and on Friday, Aug. 6, from 2:30 to 8 p.m. This year, runners will receive disposable B-tags, which are worn on their bib to record their for the race. The registration event features an Expo of products and services provided and presented by a variety of vendors, including the Nike Reuse-a-Shoe program drop box.
Runner Drop Off on Race Morning
Runner drop off is at the Gull Crest Fields parking lot a half mile from the intersection of Spurwink Road and Route 77. Look for flaggers to direct you. Runners are required to be at the start line by 7:30 a.m.
Runner parking near the start line will be provided at the Sprague Fields located at Fowler and Ram Island Farm roads. Parking for runners also is available at Cape Elizabeth’s high school and middle school on a first-come basis. Runners will then be shuttled from the parking lots to the start between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m. Please look for signs providing directions. Carpooling and shuttling is recommended.
New this year will be satellite parking and shuttle bus services to the start line from two new locations – South Portland High School at 737 Highland Ave. and the parking lot of the Hannaford corporate office at 145 Pleasant Hill Road in Scarborough. Shuttle buses will run from these locations from 6:30 to 7:15 a.m., and return to these locations from Fort Williams after the race.
There is no parking for runners at the finish line at Fort Williams, which will be restricted for media, sponsors, staff and spectators, who are advised to carpool and to arrive prior to 7:15 a.m. since Shore Road closes at 7:30 a.m. Entrance to the Fort from the north from Shore Road via Cottage Road in South Portland, however, will remain open throughout the morning. Shuttle buses will operate from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to take runners and others back to the start area, school parking lots and satellite locations.
Other important info:
- Kids Fun Run – The Kids Fun Run will take place at 6 p.m. Aug. 6 at the Soccer Field at Fort Williams. The races will be run in heats, according to age. Rain date is Sat., Aug. 7 at 9:15 a.m. – check the race website at www.beach2beacon.org for updates. Registration and packet pick up for the kid’s race will take place from 4 to 8 p.m. during race registration at Cape Elizabeth High School and also on Friday, Aug. 6 near the Soccer Field at Fort Williams.
- Awards Ceremony – The formal awards ceremony on race day will begin promptly at 10 a.m. at Fort Williams at the top of flagpole hill.
- Race Beneficiary – This year’s race beneficiary is Junior Achievement of Maine – for more information, visit www.jamaine.org. The TD Charitable Foundation, the charitable giving arm of TD Bank, will provide a cash donation of $30,000 to the organization, which will also benefit from fundraising activities and publicity through its association with the race.
The 13th annual TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10K Road Race field of 6,000 runners includes many of the world’s top elite runners as well as the top Maine and New England runners. TD Bank is the title sponsor of the race founded by Joan Benoit Samuelson, the 1984 Olympic gold medalist and Maine’s most recognizable athlete.In addition to TD Bank, the title sponsor, other major corporate partners this year include Hannaford, Poland Spring, MaineHealth, Fairchild Semiconductor, Nike, Northeast Delta Dental and WCSH6. For additional information about the race, visit www.beach2beacon.org, and find the TD Beach to Beacon on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The TD Charitable Foundation
The TD Charitable Foundation is the charitable giving arm of TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank ®, one of the 10 largest commercial banking organizations in the United States. The Foundation’s mission is to support, respect and improve the quality of life in the diverse communities where we live and do business. Since its inception in 2002, the Foundation has distributed more than $174.1 million and more than 17,000 grants in charitable donations from Maine to Florida. The TD Charitable Foundation focuses on supporting the following community needs: affordable housing, economic development, neighborhood revitalization, financial literacy, and human services. Recently, more than 90 percent of the grants awarded by the Foundation benefited low-and moderate- income communities and individuals. More information on the TD Charitable Foundation, including an online grant application, is available at www.TDBank.com .
TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank ®
TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 9 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services at more than 1,200 convenient locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida. In addition, TD Bank and its subsidiaries offer customized private banking and wealth management services through TD Wealth ® , and vehicle financing and dealer commercial services through TD Auto Finance. TD Bank is headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J. To learn more, visit www.tdbank.com . Find TD Bank on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TDBank and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TDBank_US .
TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol “TD”. To learn more, visit www.td.com .