CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine – Race organizers have outlined parking, road closings and race week events leading up to the Aug. 2 TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K.
Runners are encouraged to arrive by 6:30 a.m. to avoid heavy traffic. Roadside parking is not allowed. Race officials also ask that no walkers, joggers, spectators or bicyclists be in the road along the course after 8 a.m. as the roads must be clear for the elite athletes and other registered runners.
On race day, the following roads will be closed:
- Route 77, from Sprague Hall to Kettle Cove Road will be closed from 6 to 10 a.m.
- Route 77, from Kettle Cove Road to Old Ocean House Road, closed from 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Crescent Beach State Park will be closed from 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Route 77, at Hillway, closed 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Old Ocean House Road (all) closed 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- Shore Road (all) from Key Bank to Fort Williams, closed 7:30 to 11 a.m.
- Scott Dyer Road from Spurwink Avenue (except shuttle buses), closed 7:15 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. eastbound.
- All of Fowler Road (except shuttle buses) will be closed from 7:15 to 10 a.m.
Registration and chip packet pickup for confirmed runners will take place at Cape Elizabeth High School on Thursday, July 31, 4 to 8 p.m. and on Friday, Aug. 1, 2:30 to 8 p.m. At registration, runners will receive bib numbers and ChampionChip to time and score the race. The event features an expo of products and services provided and presented by a variety of vendors.
Elite Athlete Clinic
This year’s clinic featuring world-class elite athletes and Joan Benoit Samuelson will take place from 5 to 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1 at the Cape Elizabeth High School. The public (and media) are welcome.
Runner Drop Off on Race Morning
Runner drop off is at the Gull Crest Fields parking lot a half mile from the intersection of Spurwink Road and Route 77. Look for flaggers to direct you. Runners are required to be at the start line by 7:30 a.m.
Runner parking near the start line will be provided at the Sprague Fields located at Fowler and Ram Island Farm roads. Parking for runners also is available at Cape Elizabeth’s high school and middle school on a first-come basis where runners will be shuttled from the parking lots there to the start between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m. Please look for signs providing directions. Carpooling and shuttling is recommended.
There is no parking for runners at the finish line at Fort Williams, which will be restricted for media, sponsors, staff and spectators, who are advised to carpool and to arrive prior to 7:15 a.m. since Shore Road closes at 7:30 a.m. Shuttle buses will operate from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to take runners and others back to the start area and the school parking lots.
Other important info:
- Kids Fun Run – The Kids Fun Run will take place at 9:30 a.m. on the Parade Ground at Fort Williams. The races will be run in heats, according to age.
- Awards Ceremony – The formal awards ceremony will begin promptly at 10 a.m. at Fort Williams at the top of flagpole hill.
- Race Beneficiary – This year’s race beneficiary is the Susan L. Curtis Foundation, the sponsor of Camp Susan Curtis, a summer camp dedicated to improving the lives of economically disadvantaged Maine children ages 8-18. The organization provides traditional camping experiences interwoven with a leadership development and life skills curriculum. For more information, visit http://www.susancurtisfoundation.org/. TD Banknorth, through the TD Charitable Foundation, will provide a cash donation of $30,000 to the Susan L. Curtis Foundation. The non-profit organization also will benefit from fundraising activities and publicity through its association with the race.
The 11th annual TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K Road Race field of 5,500 runners includes some of the world’s best elite runners as well as the top Maine and New England runners. TD Banknorth is the title sponsor of the race founded by Joan Benoit Samuelson, the Olympic gold medalist and Maine’s most recognizable athlete. In addition to TD Banknorth, other major corporate partners this year include Hannaford, Poland Spring, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Maine, MaineHealth, Nike, WCSH TV-6 and Northeast Delta Dental. For additional info about the race, visit http://www.beach2beacon.org/ or call the race hotline at (888) 480-6940.